I admit it. Since starting a Paleo-esque Clean Food Plan, I consider myself somewhat of a foodie. I make fun and exciting recipes with ingredients that I have never tried before. Add to it a cool CSA, and I work with fruits and veggies that are new to me. So I was thrilled to try out this delicious Yacon Syrup for digestion and metabolism. and full of fiber.
I will admit however that once I knew I was trying it out , I had to google its uses...and derivation.
From the company:
"LIFE & FOOD 100% PURE RAW ALL NATURAL YACON SYRUP
Our Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) Syrup is sourced from naturally grown organic Yacon fields in the country of Peru. We use the HIGHEST quality Yacon plant to make a premium pure syrup formula.
Yacon syrup has shown to remain low in calories and low on the glycemic index scale. This is due to the fact that the sugar contains high levels of oligofructose (inulin), a form of sugar that is not metabolized readily by the human body. For this reason, Yacon is ideal for diabetics and acts as a great alternative to conventional low calorie sweeteners. 100% pure Yacon syrup has shown to assist in weight management, increase fiber intake and promotes good bowel function
Other benefits include:
- Lowers blood sugar.
- Prevents and controls hyperglycemia (over activity).
- Restores renal activity. Is a powerful Antioxidant.
- High in prebiotics and probiotics, this syrup contains up to 50% of FOS (fructooligosacharides).
- It has been found that consumption of FOS does not increase blood glucose, and helps boost your bodies metabolism.
- Naturally grown and sourced from the fields in Peru.
- Organic certified by our manufacturing specialists.
- 100% pure raw organic syrup formula with no added preservatives.
- Bottled and tested in a FDA certified GMP facility in the USA.
So what does it taste like? A bit like a thick syrup of molasses. It is sweet,but not sickly so. It is rich. I will be baking with it...and using it in oatmeal and other oat things.It is delicious, gluten free and Non GMO...what could be better?