I finally have a few spare minutes to sit down and type out a birth plan. I have been thinking about this birth for the past few months and definitely have a strong outline of how I want it to go. Let me know if it seems like anything is glaringly missing from it!!
My Wishes for Childbirth - Zoe Elyse Lee
Due Date: 08/01/2010
Patient of Dr Nathan
Scheduled to deliver at Neugarten Birth Center
Dear staff of the Neugarten Family Birth Center,
I would like to adhere to this list as closely as possible. Thanks for your kindness, patience, and understanding.
* I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
* I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
* I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
* I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
* I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible.
* I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor.
* I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
* I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.
* Other Labor Preference: I would like to have a water birth.
* Other Labor Preference: I would like to follow my Calm Birth plan and listen to my cd in a quiet place as I meditate.
* I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of Anastasia.
* I do not want an internal monitor unless Anastasia has shown some sign of distress.
* I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring.
* If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.
* Other Anesthesia/Pain Medication Preference: I would like to have a natural birth.
* Other Anesthesia/Pain Medication Preference: If I am in extreme pain, I will use the code word: Hamburger to indicate that i am serious about wanting drugs.
* Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
* If my primary care provider determines that a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to obtain a second opinion from another physician if time allows.
* If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
* If Anastasia is not in distress, Anastasia should be given to My husband, Duncan immediately after birth.
* I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for Anastasia's safety.
* I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
* I would prefer an episiotomy rather than a tear.
* I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
* I would like the chance to touch Anastasia's head when it crowns.
* I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery.
* I would appreciate having the room as quiet as possible when Anastasia is born.
* I would like to have Anastasia placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
* Other Delivery Preference: I would like to deliver in the tub, if possible.
Immediately After Delivery
* I would like to have My husband, Duncan cut the cord.
* I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.
* I would like to hold Anastasia while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
* I plan to keep Anastasia near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of Anastasia can be done with Anastasia on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
* I would prefer to hold Anastasia rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.
* I do not want a routine injection of Pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.
* Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
* I would like to have Anastasia "room in" and be with me at all times.
* I plan to breastfeed Anastasia and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
* Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to Anastasia (including glucose water or plain water).
* I do not want Anastasia to be given a pacifier.
* Other Photo/Video Preference: I would like Duncan to videotape the birth.
* I would prefer that no students, interns, residents or non-essential personnel be present during my labor or the birth.
Phew, now let us hope all goes smoothly and I don't have to mention Hamburger!!!
I am putting the finishing touches on my mixed cds for the hospital and will be bringing my ipad as well, so I will have plenty to listen to. I will upload the music list later. Lots of Tori on it, and of course music that I have been playing for Ana right along.